Friday, March 13, 2009

All Dressed Up

I finished my All Dressed Up quilt!! I absolutely love this quilt! As you might remember from a previous post, I used my mother's fabrics for all the dresses. With each dress I tried to remember what my mom used her fabrics for. She made a few quilts in her day. Mom gave away most of the quilts she made to family for wedding, baby or graduation gifts. She didn't particularly like to quilt...she enjoyed embroidery and crocheting.


It was so much fun to "design" each dress by adding the trim and bows!


I really like this one because of the little patchwork applique. It is Little Red Hen! My mom often read me the story of Little Red Hen when I was a little girl. I think it was her way to try and get me to help more with the chores. It didn't work!


Here a few of my favorites!!


I chose this border because I just finished the Time For Tea Swap with Stephanie. I thought it was appropriate to be all dressed up and off to a tea party. (Although when I was a little girl it was chocolate milk parties!)Plus it looks vintage!

If you would like a copy of the pattern, you can get it from the lovely Nanette!


I forgot to post about this great big bag I made!! I made it to carry my mat and rulers when I go on retreats or just quilting with friends.


On the back I put that silver iron on fabric so I can put it on a table and use it as an ironing board.

Piece & love,
Dawn

19 comments:

May Britt said...

This was a great idea to carry all the rulers and cutting mat. And have a ironing mat on the other side.

Tipper said...

The quilt is one of the prettiest I've ever seen! I just adore the little dresses. And it has such meaning for you too.

Abby and Stephanie said...

That is THE cutest quilt. Love all of your embellishments and how you made it unique. I must say I do love the teacup border print. :o) A very special quilt.

ilovebabyquilts said...

Wow the purple dress and the red/yellow dress are so pretty! So sweet!

Jodi Nelson said...

What a fantastic bag!

Sherri said...

It's so gorgeous...the photo doesn't even show how beautiful the dresses are...

Stina Blomgren said...

I love yout dresses...so cute ...the quilt is wonderful!!!
And the bag..that is a great idea...loved it!! :o)

Eileen said...

What a fabulous idea to make the back of that caddy an ironing board! I love the front of it too.

And your Nanette dress quilt turned out so wonderful. I have that same print in one of the dresses.. only in a differnt colorway.. the one with the little african deer on it. Fun to see it in red!

Nanette Merrill said...

Aw thanks Dawn. Your quilt is so beautiful. Such a memory dedicated to your wonderful mother too. Each fabric is a memory. I love it. The ruler/ironing board is amazing. So smart. I'm so impressed.

Ulla said...

Your quilt looks so pretty! I love the way you embellished the little dresses.
I have been planning to make a big bag for my cutting mat and things for my sewing group for a couple of years now, and my newest idea was to make one side an ironing mat!

Thimbleanna said...

Ok, let me get this straight. You just took that class at the retreat and now you're DONE??? You're a WONDERWOMAN!!! VERY, very CUTE!!!

Carrie P. said...

Your dress quilt is so sweet. All the memories you must have. Love it.

Lorraine said...

What a fabulous idea to be able to use the bag as an ironing pad.....very clever!...I love your all dressed up quilt...I bought the pattern from Nanette when I was lurking around her blog (I was her time for tea swap partner)..I can't wait to get started on the little dresses....! It will be fun to find embellishments for them too!

Amy said...

Ooooo! I've had so much FUN catching up on your blog tonight! This Dress quilt is ADORABLE!!!!! I'll have to keep that pattern in mind when I finally dig into my three girls' old baby clothes.....

Susan said...

The quilt is beautiful and I like how you turned it into a tea party dress up. Thanks for the visit to see my humble beginning.

Des said...

Dawn! That mat bag is rockin' brilliant. I'm going to get right on that. Adding to my list of "must-do's". Very cool. any tips? i've never used iron shiny fabric....

Cathy said...

Your mat bag is a fantastic idea! How about a tutorial? Where to you buy the ironing fabric?

Debbie said...

Hi Just wondering if you had a pattern for the bag you made? I Love it. Debbie.

Bethel of Bethania said...

G'day Dawn
I love this bag & think it is a wonderful idea especially with the ironing fabric on the bag ... good one ... OOroo ... Bethel