Friday, February 6, 2009

Our Place of Worship--Gone

Wednesday, February 4, just after 4 am. My hubby was on his way to work in Las Vegas when the call came...our church was on fire! He immediately turned around as he is a local volunteer firefighter/EMT. Pictures speak a thousand words....


This is the front of our building. The fire is coming through the windows of the chapel.





Hooray for our firefighters!! We had firefighters come from Mesquite and North Las Vegas to help put out the fire.


Fire was all around the steeple, but it stood strong!


This is looking down into what was the chapel.



Many of our long time residents mixed concrete to make bricks for the church.




This is the room where a group of us women quilted once a month...women of all faiths. We have a morning group and an evening group. The morning group will now meet at the volunteer fire station and the evening group will meet at our local elementary school.

Our church was built and dedicated in 1951, and has been worshipped in every Sunday since. It is the second oldest LDS church in Clark County. Las Vegas has the oldest.

What a great community we live in! We are sad to lose our place of worship, but we have not lost our faith.

Piece & love,
Dawn

9 comments:

Vivian Love said...

Dawn, I just read your post. Oh my! This is just awful. So sad to see those pictures. Just breaks my heart. Please post when they determine the cause. I'll keep you and the members in my prayers. Vivian Love

Mel said...

Holy moly!!! What happened? So sorry to hear about that!

Nedra said...

I've been at a Superior Threads seminar in St. George for the last 3 days and have missed the news. I hadn't heard about your church building. I'm so sorry! We just moved the Diamond Valley ward out of our Stake Center. Maybe you need to come our way and use our building! (although it would be quite a drive). Keep us posted on what your ward will do from here.

Kaaren said...

Oh Dawn, how sad. Thank goodness no one was hurt. For every door that closes, a new window opens. Keep the faith.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Dawn, I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your Church, you and the family members of the Church will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Keep the faith and blessings,
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm popping in (nosing around) fellow Time For Tea Swappers.

Oh that is so sad- a piece of history and people's hearts went into building it. I hope something great will rise from it's ashes phoenix like.

Carrie P. said...

Oh my! That is terrible but as you know it doesn't take a building to have church. You can have church anywhere. Faith can definitely rebuild your church. God be with you all.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Dawn that makes me cry. That was one of the old style buildings. They just don't make them like that any more. It makes me very sad. I love the old buildings. The new ones - not so much. We have a lovely old red church in Alpine quite like yours. We met in it for years, now we are changed to a new one. Everytime I enter the old red church for our quilt meetings, I'm reminded of how much I like the old style and the feel of the building. Sad. So sad about yours.

maggie fellow said...

Oh my! Isn't it great to know that the loss of the building will not change the principles taught there. It will still keep moving forward.
--maggie
www.stampingwithmaggie.com